why did we stop doing our projects
if there is a rough structure why don't we just put it out there?
What qualifies something as being so bad that we abondon?
- personal standard vs external motivation
- comparison to outside stuff
- preconceived notions
In participation what's more important?
- someone will see it eventually
- passive aggressive audience?
- what they didn't say was worse
If you aim high and give up vs low quality but keeps going - what's worse?
- if you aim low and inspire other low
- aren't you also inspiring the person who will never reach the high end?
- low quality may play into ego (I can do better)
- more people are making crap
Globally you'll be within top 5-10% of the population for graduation.
- but you still think you're not as good
Content being bad
- but everyone has seen it
- the sharing is more important
When you get into higher number of visits chances are someone shared it.
Maybe participation is sharing.
then you are not necessarily producing or consuming
the act of others letting others know.
The good producer is that 'gold standard'
- but it's part of a hierarchy
is there a hierarchy for sharing?
- you don't evaluate the content
- you do go to your friends and will trust
- theoretically you know which ones to follow
The curator of this act of sharing is someone who is an expert that I trust.
Chaos and Complexity theories.
War in the Age of Intelligent Machines
How the Leopard Got Its Spots
Self organising systems -those experts win out.
Based on rhetoric of democratising media.
- is really a falsity
- you have the option and participation but is selective
- we want to believe?
- we "know" certain cannons even if it's false
- why do we present these false realities
How does the illusion benefit
- to distract between the truth
Can you participate any way you want?
- rules govern how you can interact
- rule of property
- intellectual property
- depends on the notion of ownership
Offline rules have not caught up with online rules
Most laws are based on the notion of private property.
- if I own, I decided
- if you own, I have to ask for permission to share
If you're circulating a link via email is the message or the content of the link being circulated?
Group Share on our portfolios:
1) Biggest think I learned
2) What it means
3) What now?
Disconnects from what you're learning now and what your academic career
Most people think of the internet as a metaphor:
- freedom / limitlessness
Infinite possibilities sound great until you are asked to do something
- million things that can go wrong - how do you pick
The internet as a way of thinking - epistemology
predisposed set of rules
- writing for a class is different than writing on self
- self imposed limits
I have and idea:
- do i make my idea with the tech
- do i create the tech to do what I want
- do i transform my idea to something new
Most of us will defer to what is already there.